Jessica Schamroth

Jessica Schamroth

Jessica Schamroth

Jessica Schamroth

Jessica Schamroth

Jessica Schamroth

jbsart.tumblr.com
jessicaschamroth@hotmail.com
07939299399

My work explores urban space and society, a relationship between city and contemporary art practice, incorporating themes of implied space and aiming to challenge space. Time holds a significant role in my work as certain memories are depicted through the method of layering, portraying the change in landscapes.

My paintings are inspired and produced from photographs I have taken of seemingly derelict urban landscapes around Leeds. Using sections of the photographs, I create my own ‘place’, with shifting perspectives. The inclusion of graffiti and familiar objects with occasional areas of photographic detail act almost as a tangible reference point in the larger landscape, hinting at human existence.

Operating with a moderately monochromatic palette, I reflect the photographed area’s ambience using oil paints, spray paints and mixed media, occasionally introducing a hint of vibrant colours. The use of ready-mixed filler gives a concrete texture, taking the subject matter direct to the canvas. Working on a larger scale enables physical engagement with the paint, representing the actual environment.